Dear Kev,

Many thanks for raising an important issue; the ways results of clinical
trials are reported. There is evidence to show that the way results are
presented influences clinicians' decision to prescribe a drug and the
funders' decision to purchase the same. Interestingly two of the three
papers on this topic were published in the BMJ which also  published the
Ramipril trial only with RR and not NNT. Moreover even the recent CONSORT
revision just mentions "For both binary and survival time data, expressing
the results also as the number needed to treat for benefit (NNTB) or harm
(NNTH) can be helpful”. So NNT is only optional and not binding on the
authors of clinical trials.

After reading your posting on the discussion list, I did a bit of search and
has sent a detailed electronic response to the BMJ. If you have the time you
could access my response with the references @

http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/324/7339/699#21109

I will be interested in your and others (on the list) views on my electronic
response in the BMJ.

Cheers & regards,

Badri

Dr.P.Badrinath M.D,M.Phil,(Epid)PhD(Cantab)DFPHM(UK),MPH(Distinc)
Clinical Assistant Professor & Hon Consultant in Preventive Medicine,
Department of Community Medicine,
UAE University, PO Box 17666, Al Ain,
United Arab Emirates.
Tel: 00 971 3 7039 652
Fax: 00 971 3 7672022.
http://myprofile.cos.com/badrishanthi
"For an excellent review of the current medical literature, go to Journals
Scan www.uaeu.ac.ae/jscan/" - BMJ 3rd June 2000, Netlines