Dear All,

I am studying on a master's thesis on "new user-centered methodologies for design innovation". Along with some literature search, I have built a conceptual background on 'innovation' ;  theory, development, dynamics of innovation. As a next step, I am trying to find some extended definitions of the concept. However, I have had difficulties in locating the definition of the term, 'design innovation'.

I wonder if anyone studied this subject before or have any information could help me in this. Two basic questions I have in mind are as follows:

1. How can 'design innovation' be defined?
Design literature often uses this term but I could not reach to a specific definition of it.

2. How does 'design innovation' contribute to 'product innovation' or 'product success'?
A diversity of determinants that effect product innovativeness has been studied and recorded (i.e. the role of company structure, the target sector, et cetera) but I could not locate any study on the 'design' variable.

Regards,

Bilge Mutlu
BID