How could a man really learn what it would be like to be a woman or a woman really learn what it would be like to be a man?  I would suggest that communicating with the experts would be the best way forward.

So if you really want to learn what it be like learn to directly  communicate with members of that community.  One thing is certain, you'll learn something more about what it is like to be a real human.

If after understanding some thing more about that community, then you might understand some of the collective goals of that community, from representatives of that community.

I am a wheelchair user.  The first time I controlled a wheelchair, I too was a bit scared. So with a 'disability simulation exercise' that creates fear in the trainee, could result in images negative projections of members of our community, because of the 'first time' fear.

A man wearing a dress feels like a man wearing a dress, it doesn't make man feel what its like a woman, or vice versa.

Just some thoughts,

Keith
Keith Armstrong

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:08:42 +1000
 Laurence Bathurst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:11:21 +1000
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >From: Laurence Bathurst <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re: disability simulation exercises?
> >
> >Indeed
> >
> >That is an important point. I find it quite useful to have more of an
> >understanding about the way different people experience disability. I
> >would not expect to find out from such an exercise as the one  Madeleine
> >describes below, how to understand how each individual experiences things
> >or to have empathy with people's real experiences but some understanding
> >should be seen as positive. As suggested by others, its the motivation and
> >expectations of such a simulation that need to be examined. Here, where I
> >work, students can be seen pushing other students in wheelchairs and
> >walking with blindfolded people but this is not an exercise in simulating
> >the experience of disability but simply learning how to guide a blind
> >person and how to assist a person with a wheelchair.
LARGE SNIP
--
 Have you been to: