[Sorry, slightly delayed response to previous thread about whether
'simple DC' can be considered as an application profile or not.]

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Pete Johnston wrote:

> Looking at [2], I can see that this "political" dimension is embedded in
> the definition of "application profile" used there
>
> > schemas which consist of data elements drawn from one or more
> namespaces, combined
> > together by implementors, and optimised for a particular local
> application
>
> Actually I don't think I had fully registered the presence of "by
> implementors" until I looked at this just now!

I'm not sure how one could apply this "by implementors, and optimised for
a particular local application" distinction in practice?

Most things (perhaps everything?) in DC are done by implementors.  What
does 'local' mean? Are the DC-Education, DC-Government and DC-Libraries
application profiles 'local'?

I don't want to shock anyone, but the document containing the proposed
definition of Simple DC was written "by implementors, for implementors"
:-)

> I guess I'm arguing for a more "functional" view: it's the "drawing",
> "combining" and "optimising" which are the significant considerations,
> rather than whether that drawing/combining/optimising is being done by a
> standards body or an implementor.

Yes, agreed.

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933