Here are the quotations for next week, March 10th to 17th:

1. Gerowlia waited in the sunshine and chuckled to herself like a female pauper when she receives snuff. Her mahout said that he would go away for a drink of water. So he walked, and walked, and walked, until he disappeared on the storm-strewn plains…

2. 'We trust each our own elephant, till our own elephant kills us. Other castes trust women, but we the elephant-folk. I have seen men deal with enraged elephants and live; but never was man yet born of woman that met my lord the elephant in his musth and lived to tell of the taming...'

3. ‘Surely they make these things to please their Gods,’ said the Bull again.
‘Not altogether’, the Elephant rolled forth. ‘It is for the profit of my mahanjuns - my fat money lenders that worship me each new year, when they draw my image at the head of the account books.’

The sources of this week's extracts (March 3rd to 9th) are as follows:

1. (...They clawed, they slapped, they fled, leaving behind them a trophy of banners and brasses crudely arranged round the big drum...) This is from 'The Vortex' in 'A Diversity of Creatures'.

2. (...he heard a sound as though all the earth were humming. Then he ran as he had never run in his life before...) This is from 'Red Dog' in 'The Second Jungle Book'.

3. (...the old Queen cried the swarming cry, which to a bee of good blood should be what the trumpet was to Job's war-horse...)  This is from 'The Mother Hive' in 'Actions and Reactions'.

Good wishes to all, John R