>  We've built a number of proto-portals using Zope. We haven't
>  grappled with the CMF - it is clearly a candidate for a portal
>  framework.
>
>  We have Chris Withers from NIP coming on Thursday to give us
>  the low down on the CMF as a portal framework. If anyone would
>  like to join us 11 am - 2 pm in Bristol then let me know.

You can find the presentation Chris gave via
http://www.bris.ac.uk/ISC/portal/

In a nutshell his answers to the following questions were:

Is Zope +/- CMF a candidate portal framework?
   Not as they stand - but you could build one if you wanted
Can Zope +/- CMF drive channels in another portal framework? Yes
Can another portal framework exploit Zope +/- CMF as an institutional CMS?
Yes

In terms of uPortal or Oracle Portal or <name your Java Portal framework>
integration, Chris suggested two lines of useful inquiry:

* XML Skins
"Skins" control the look-and-feel of the CMF. One could write an
XML Skin specifically for the purpose of driving a uPortal channel (for
example).

*JPE
Java-Python Extension is a seamless, complete, and efficient integration
of Java and standard Python (C Python). JPE provides Java access
to Python's native extension, and Java's Swing to Python developers.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: [log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/