Hi Lena,

Despite Geoffrey of Vendôme's characterization, it wasn't novum, nec
inauditum.  The practice, known as syneisaktism, has been said to
have existed in Christianity nearly as long as the religion itself (1
Corinthians 7.36-38, 9.5 may refer to it).  Cyprian condemned it, as
did Jerome, Chrysostom, and over 20 councils and synods between 267
and 787.  A variety of references in the 12th century, some (like
Geoffrey, and also Bernard of Clairvaux) hostile, but not all, and
there are also several references in Irish texts throughout the
Middle Ages reflecting a fairly diverse perspective on the practice.

In addition to the Gougaud article Meg mentioned, you may also want
to look at Roger Reynolds, "Virgines Subintroductae in Celtic
Christianity," Harvard Theological Review 61 (1968): 547-66; Rosemary
Rader, Breaking Boundaries; and Jo Ann McNamara, Sisters in Arms, and
"Chaste Marriage and Clerical Celibacy," in Sexual Practices and the
Medieval Church.

Maeve