Dear Meg,

Are you spreading your net wide enough to include breviaries and other
liturgical mss for the daily office?  Those, of course, are chock full of
Latin lessons on individual saints (usually drawn from the saint's vita),
with special prayers in their honor and often also poetic texts written to
be sung on their feastday as hymns, antiphons, responses to the lessons,
etc.  Such mss are reputed to be standardized and predictable, but in my
experience the earlier ones (those written before the 15th century, esp)
are full of interesting surprises.

Sherry

At 10:50 AM 3/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Greetings all,
>once again I am looking for parallels or counter examples
>to icelandic phenomena. in the present case, i would be
>most grateful for references to manuscripts - in latin
>or the vernacular - which contain a combination of prose
>vita and poetry (or prayers) in honor of the same saint(s).
>I am, of course, aware of the opus geminata of Alcuin
>Bede, Alhelm, etc.; what I am looking for now is the
>comparable phenomena from the 12th-16th centuries,
>perhaps in devotional books for lay usage, but also
>(if they exist) in latin mss.
>many thanks,
>Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
>Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
>College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
>Charleston, SC 29424-0001

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]