And here's another quote from Jeff Jacoby, whom Honest Bob cites presumably
on the assumption that we are stupid enough to accept the ramblings of a
right-wing hack as evidence:
"Real courage would mean standing up to the army of special interests and
narrow constituencies that feed at the public trough and telling them to
make do with less. True grit would mean saying no to the teachers unions and
the welfare lobby and all the other liberal pressure groups that clamor for
government subsidies and lavish entitlements." (full text available from
Bob's link).

Unsurprisingly, neither Honest Bob or Jacoby refer to the fatal air crash in
Cuba at the weekend which killed, among others, a British couple on their
honeymoon, and was caused by the American blockade of Cuba, which does not
allow spare parts into the country. Jacoby does confirm that the
"librarians" are not librarians, they are just political dissidents with
some books who have lent them to "friends and neighbours." By this
definition America's barbaric prison camp at Guantanamo Bay (arbitrary
arrest, drugging of prisoners, no legal representation, indefinite detention
without trial, sensory deprivation, the threat of summary execution -
precisely the conduct condemned so eloquently in "Darkness at noon")
probably contains quite a number of "librarians".

One line of Jacoby's about a couple of these phoney librarians amused me
rather- "Government persecution eventually drove them from Cuba". Eh? I
thought Honest Bob's line was that Cuba has such an evil, oppressive regime
that people were desperate to leave. My mistake, obviously. Or perhaps
Jacoby is referring to American government persecution, which has been
strangling this small, innocuous country for years.

For the truth behind Honest Bob's propaganda campaign, see
http://libr.org/Juice/issues/vol4/LJ_4.9.sup.html
Those with a genuine rather than propagandist interest in Cuban libraries
can find out more at http://www.libr.org/CLSG/

Regards,
Aran Lewis