Three cheers for Joe Meert for nipping this in the bud and warning
unsuspecting members of our community about Ethan's habits!

At 23:52 4.3.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Ethan,
>
>    Of course drift rates fluctuate over time.  However, absurd calculations
>such as those made by John Baumgardner in his Noachian flood model are not
>realistic.  Anyone can plug unreal numbers into a model and get an answer,
>but those answers have little to do with reality.  India, largely a
>continental landmass was attached to a large old oceanic plate and moved at
>speeds of ~20 cm/year max on its n-ward journey towards Asia.  There are
>indications of large plates moving at minimum speeds of over 20 cm/year near
>the end of the Proterozoic, but there is some debate about those as well.
>In the Neoproterozoic case, the fast drift rates lasted about 15 million
>years and likely resulted from the heat build up beneath a large continental
>lid; however, other causes have been postulated (see Meert et al., 1993;
>Kirschvink et al., 1997; Evans, 1998; Meert, 1999) for further discussion.
>Under no circumstances do mantle conditions or earth conditions allow for
>meter/hour speeds needed in the Noachian flood model of Baumgardner.  In
>short, creationists like Baumgardner, put garbage in their models and get
>garbage in return.
>
>Cheers
>
>Joe Meert
>
>PS: For those who don't know Ethan, he is a creationist
>http://www.scientificcreationism.org/

Amy E. Clifton, Research geologist
Structural geology and tectonics
Nordic Volcanological Institute                         phone: +354 525 5481
Grensásvegur 50                                               fax:   +354 562 9767
IS-108 Reykjavík, Iceland                             email: [log in to unmask]
                        http://www.norvol.hi.is/~amy/home.html