What little contact I have had with creationists suggests that they do not
normally use the argument that the earth was created with the appearance of
age. For one thing, such an argument has the same sort of sterile
impregnability as has solipsism. One can equally argue that the world was
created five minutes ago with the appearance of age (including false
memories). But if God created the world 6000 years ago, designed to look as
if it was much older, then this implies that God is very deceitful, which is
not an attractive position.

Therefore those creationists I have come across do attempt to construct
arguments to try and explain geological data, which means that, in my
opinion at least, it is worthwhile carrying on the debate. All the more so
since, given the advances of the creationist movement, especially in the
USA, it is as well to have some practice for those occasions when debate is
necessary in a public forum.

Most creationist propaganda is based on a simple trick: find a piece of data
that is hard to reconcile with standard evolutionary theory. Then argue as
follows:

X is true
X is incompatible with evolution
Therefore creationism is true.

Obviously a false syllogism. One can always try the counter-argument:

X is true
X is incompatible with creationism
Therefore evolution is true.

And see how that goes down!

Apologies for adding one more item not strictly on tectonics to people's
mailboxes, but I do think it is necessary to respond to this debate when
challenged and not go off in a huff. In the case of maximum rate of
continental drift, the topic is inherently interesting and I for one am
happy to learn more about the subject from people like Joe.

Roger Musson

This  e-mail   message,  and  any  files  transmitted   with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If
this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error
and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not  necessarily represent  those of the British
Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS  accepts no liability  for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the
BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility  for viruses, so please
scan all attachments.                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk