Jacob,

There are two questions here.

First, the false positive rate as it is commonly used is 1 - the specificity.  In the first example, in order to calculate the false positive rate, you would need to know the number without disease.  The number you have calculated is the probability that someone with a postive test is without disease.  This is also called the False Alarm Rate.

In the case of the Downs syndrome test, I would interpret the statistics as a sensitivity of 80% and a specificity of 95%, leaving a 5% false positive rate.  In the population with a prevalence of Downs of 1 in 1000, the False Alarm rate can be calculated from the Positive Likelihood Ratio.  In this case LR+ = 0.8 / 0.05 = 16 (not bad in general, but not great for a mass screening test).

The pretest odds are 0.001 (1:999) and the post test odds of disease (Positive Predictive Value) is 0.001 x 16 = 0.016 or 1.6%.  This means that 98.4% (1 - 0.016) of the positive tests will be False Alarms.

We get the same answer (probably because the prevalence is so low), but the semantics are a bit different.

Dan
>>> Jacob Puliyel <[log in to unmask]> 03/05/02 01:54PM >>>
Dear Mail-base
This is a question I hope people familiar with
 population based screening tests can help me with.
Ordinarily we say 'false positive' if test is positive but
person is not diseased.
Assume population of 100 persons. Suppose 10 tested positive to a
screening test and of these only 5 had the disease then the
 false positive rate in 50%

Why is it then, that when we look at a screening test like triple test or
 nuchal translucency in Downs syndrome, people talk of 80% detection
for a 5% false positive rate meaning 5% of the population will be
 positive.  (Wald NJ & Hackshaw AK, Prenat Diagn 1997; 17:821-9)

Downs syndrome occurs 1 per 1000 deliveries.
For purposes of simplicity let us assume 100 % pick up by the test.
If there are 100,000 deliveries we can expect 5000 (5%)
to be identified by the screening test.
100 among the 5000 identified by the test, will have Downs(1%).
 In other words 4900 of those identified by the test did not have
disease and 100 had disease. The false positive rate is 4900/5000
multiplied by 100 = 98% false positive.
It does not sound like a good test if we say it has 98% false positvity.
Is that we say the test has a 5% false positive rate?
Sincerely
Jacob M. Puliyel
_____________________________

Residence eMail: [log in to unmask]
Residence Phone: 00-91-11-3946388
eFax UK 07092-124285
Fax 00-91-11-3932412

Jacob M. Puliyel MD MRCP MPhil
Head of Department
Department of Pediatrics and Neonatology
St Stephens Hospital
Tis Hazari
Delhi-110054
INDIA