Dear All

Nancy and I have managed to put the internal workings of the EBEA on public
display.  Sincere apologies to anyone who has been offended.

It has, however, highlighted the difficulties faced by the EBEA. These are
not new. We have been fighting falling numbers for a long time. All subject
associations are facing the same problems - we just have more to lose. The
others have National Curriculum status so people at the DfES are
responsible for making things happen. The people who look after us at QCA
and Ofsted (yes Ofsted wants to promote business and economics education)
do a fine job but in the big picture we are still 'Not National Curriculum'
- a mantra I've heard so often. Even the DfES doesn't seem to realise that
at KS4 it means very little.

We've had to fight for recognition at every step. A lengthy dialogue with
BECTa , for example, finally gave us a proper space on the VTC. It took a
Secretary of State to get that under way! Without an independent
organisation, that would be very hard to do.

Many people don't realise that this sort of work is constantly going on.
Large subject associations like ASE and DATA run enormous offices with many
staff and are constantly pursuing people who matter in the decision making
process.

So - what can be done about it? Who can help? Any thoughts?

Jenny Wales
EBEA Vice President
Jenny Wales
Citizenship Co-ordinator