[log in to unmask] writes:
>What I do not understand is the notion stated in category c),
>"stand-alone exhibits."
>
>I do not understand how an artifact can be "self-explanatory" as a
>research presentation.

A book is an artefact, as is a video, as is a museum

A knife is a relatively simple artefact which can explain some things about
itself to some audiences but it has its limitations. The excellent Royal
Armouries Museum near here in the city of Leeds, has many well considered rich
exhibits which explain, for example, the process of producing and using
Japanese swords. I am sure that was the kind of thing in Alex Robertson's mind
in the call for exhibits, which is an experimental project intended to see if
anybody is producing such things.

Whether the call will result in any exhibits, or whether they are refereeable
remains to be seen. But it is an idea worth putting to the test.  I feel sure
that the DRS Council will take great care to ensure that the usual criteria for
research are employed in the refereeing process.

very best wishes from Sheffield
Chris Rust

Professor Chris Rust
Art and Design Research Centre