From: big-hi2u [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 08 March 2002 10:57
To: Chris Benson; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Re: Addiction

 interesting just for curiosity

What if a neurological or other condition caused an individual to have an
addiction towards drugs or alcohol!  Many people diagnosed with AD/HD well
be treated with medication.  However many haven't had their neurological
difference diagnosed and therefore don't receive medical help or help
towards finding ways of living with this neurological difference.  Many end
up on drugs or alcohol however perhaps there impairment un supported by
statutory agency through their childhood.  Surely this is an impairment
first that may show in behaviour difficulties and due to their impairments
may not necessarily have the capability to prevent themselves becoming
addicted to alcohol or drugs.

Self injuries is also another interesting issue.  Could it be a neurological
difference that courses a person to self injure?  Under medical model, is
the person disabled because: they have a neurological difference or because
they have self injured or because of disablement self injury has caused?

The reason I have made a response is because there's a need to highlight
that there could be an medical condition people have that perhaps doesn't
provide them the skills needed to ensure they don't become addicted to drugs
or alcohol.

Andy
www.hi2u.org
hi2u 4 people with hidden impairments