Hi,

I am trying to summarise the status of various discussions in the
last two months on this list. Comments welcome.

1. DC in LDAP

   There was some discussion between Roland and Rostislav on the
   draft that was circulated to this list in November.

   I would like to ask Rostislav to produce a new version taking
   into account the comments, and then we have another round of
   review.

   By the way, neither of the links that Rostislav gave in his
   message [1] seems to be working today.

2. Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML

   On 31 January 2002, Andy Powell submitted the 10th draft of the
   Guidelines for implementing Dublin Core in XML [2] to this list.

   There was a series of comments in early February and again about
   two weeks ago. I have understood from Pete Johnston that a new
   version is in the making, taking into account the comments.

   When that is available, I would like to move this forward quickly
   towards consensus, as the document is something that a large part
   of the community is waiting for.

3. DCQ schemas

   It has been identified that there are a number of schemas on
   the DCMI Web site and linked from it, that are incorrect.

   Stu proposed on a message on 14 February [3], to set up two
   task forces, one for the RDF/XML schemas and one for the 'plain'
   XML schemas. As far as I can reconstruct, the volunteers for the
   two task forces are:

   RDF/XML:   Eric Miller? (did not say yes), Dave Beckett?
   Plain XML: Carl Lagoze, Jane Hunter

   Dave Beckett suggested that the two 'camps' should not work in
   isolation but try to work together and find common ground, as
   'these are technologies for different, although related,
   applications'

   Since the initial discussions (with some questions and comments
   on Eric's draft [4]) it has become silent on the list. I hope
   that Eric can respond to the comments and that a couple of people
   can finalise the RDF/XML schema for review by this group
   (volunteers?).
   For the plain XML work, I would hope that Andy and Pete (who are
   doing the work under point 2. above anyway) could be involved in
   the XML schema work.

   I think that the work on producing the right schemas is rather
   urgent as there is nothing as bad as DCMI showing schemas that
   are wrong - I am sure that people are already using these schemas
   in practical work.

4. HTML Guidelines (references to version 1.0 in Usage Guide)

   On 15 February, I signalled [5] the occurrence of links to
   http://purl.org/DC/elements/1.0/ and
   http://dublincore.org/qdcmes/1.0/ in several official DCMI
   guidelines. Diane Hillman has agreed to update the references in
   the Usage Guide. Now we still have these references in RFC 2731
   [6] and the working draft for "Recording qualified Dublin Core
   metadata in HTML meta elements" [7]. Any suggestions/volunteers
   to take this on?

This is what I have derived from the list archives. If I have missed
any issues or misinterpret the status, please let me know.

Makx.

[1]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0111&L=dc-architecture&F=&S=&
P=5407
[2]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0201&L=dc-architecture&F=&S=&
P=2224
[3]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0202&L=dc-architecture&F=&S=&
P=5953
[4] http://www.w3.org/2001/11/26/dcq
[5]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0202&L=dc-architecture&F=&S=&
P=7188
[6] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
[7] http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/08/15/dcq-html/

Makx Dekkers                            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel: +352 2636 0150     fax: +352 2636 0151     GSM: +352 021 199910