I am currently considering a planning application to convert a barn to a residential dwelling. A sheep dip is shown to be in close proximity to what will become the garden. The current owner of the farm has been in residence for over 40 years and in that time the sheep dip has not been used. I am however concerned about the nature of the chemicals used in sheep dips and whether they, or their breakdown products may still pose a risk to the end-users of the site?
Does anyone have any experience of such sites? Can anyone provide me with guidance on the types of chemicals used and their persistence in the environment?

Thank you,

Sarah Illsley
Contaminated Land Officer