There is one paper I know of which sounds as though it is close to what you
want - at a hospital in Italy they introduced a system where senior internal
physicians saw patients in the Emergency Department. They monitored outcomes
before and after the change. They found something like a 20% reduction in
admissions with no worsening of clinical outcomes. This study was about 15
years ago. I can't remember the citation, but if you are interested let me
know and I will dig it out.

There are quite a few studies which may not be exactly what you want:

* diagnostic accuracy and appropriateness of admission when admission is
decided by A&E SHOs compared with when admission is decided by specialty
SHOs: showed no difference (study in Belfast, early 1990's I think)

* assessing the effect of physician experience on admissions for suspected
cardiac chest pain: senior doctors admitted more patients without an
increase in diagnostic accuracy (Ting, Goldman et al, 1991)

* a study where consultants retrospectively evaluated the appropriateness of
paediatric admissions and judged 20% as inappropriate. There was no
difference between the appropriateness of junior paediatricians' and junior
A&E doctors' decisions (MacFaul et al, early 1990s)

* interventional study where senior surgeons assessed patients at admission:
admission rates were decreased significantly (Gaskell et al, Ann Royal Coll
Surg Eng, 1995)

And some more along similar lines...

Let me know if you want details of these

Chris Kirke