Suppose the medical director of your Trust phoned up and asked your advice
about his patient. Would you find it bizarre if, having asked he then didn't
take your advice? I don't think you are in any different a situation. The
ambulance officer is in charge of the scene and the disposition of
casualties from the medical point of view. You are able to make suggestions,
but it is his job day in, day out to organise the transport of patients, and
with respect, he is likely to know as much as you do about the capabilities
of various hospitals and departments. It is definitely his responsibility.

You don't expect him to tell you what resources to deploy or how in your
department - why should you tell him how to manage his resources?