-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Mike Bjarkoy
Sent: 18 March 2002 20:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Treat and Release schemes

I think that before we go any further it is necessary to define these
schemes.
there are expanded scope paramedic programmes such as the one in Red River
County where paramedics go to calls such as incisions, inspect, debride,
suture and call back at a later date to take the stitches out. They also do
fractures via telemedicine facility.
Then there are those paramedics who may administer such drugs as adenosine
for SVT and once satisfied they leave the patient at home.
Then there are others who may give glucagon and leave at home
and the basic form of treat and release is one of advise and referral to
other agencies.

Where it begins and ends I really cannot say. I think it is probably more
important that it does exist and the content is incidental. As long as A&E
(ER) visits are reduced AND the patient receives appropriate care seems to
me to be the important factor here and not laid down protocols or extent of
invasive care.

Mike Bjarkoy