In article <[log in to unmask]>, Jel Coward
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>In article <"/GUID:27A00892BC31D611874C00B0D0AAAAAE"@MHS>,
>[log in to unmask] writes
>>Why not treat it with alcohol?

The Touquet "Paddington Alcohol Test" tool referred to effectively
starts patients off on a self-withdrawl alcohol regime by suggesting an
immediate halving of intake. Not sure if this is evidence-based, but
presumably patients are not prone to fits if they halve the alcohol
intake, and hopefully may be slightly more able to think straight /
comply with other treatment. Our psychs use a diazepam regime, if asked.

The key to the PAT tool is follow-up by a community alcohol misuse
service. Our area hasn't got one, no funding, so we are limited in A&E
to advising alcohol victims to halve their intake, and that's it (yes,
we give them AA's card).

Dr G Ray
A&E
Sussex