> Waiting times have increased because the method of working
> has been forced to change by
> reduced bed availability. A&E nurses are being utilised to
> look after patients who should be on
> wards. This reduces the number that can be made available to
> the minors 'stream' so slowing down
> that stream as well. The acuity of care required is the
> variable that has changed most rapidly and
> has caused the slowdown -  for reasons beyond A&E's control.

Yes, I think you're right, but I'd like to see the proof (and I'd like even
better for the DoH  to see the proof). Certainly, my perception of A and E
departments has been that the waiting time corresponds more closely to how
long patients referred to inpatient specialities spend in the department
than to attendance rate: staffing ratios. There's a number of papers around
showing that staffing is a poor predictor of waiting times. I haven't seen
anything looking at referral to admission times against waits to be seen.
Would be useful, needs a bit of work on how best to do it. Possibly compare
departments that have other specialities regularly clerking in patients in A
and E with those that don't?

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI AVD however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.