I must say I have been dismayed by the reaction to my
posting which was intended to inspire others. I stand
by the factual accuracy of what I said. Although it is
clearly reasonable to disagree with a posting, the
nature of some of the follow on has not been suitably
measured for the list in my opinion.
WEST is Winter Emergency Services Team or similar.
Sorry Danny, but these guys have effected a massive
change in how our hospital is run. Dismiss them if you
wish but I think they are our friends! Unlike CHI,
they appear to instruct trusts on what they must do by
when.
I think they report to/take orders from the top and
certainly arrived here last December well briefed, and
with the power to force change. Trolley waits of over
12 h have practitcally disappeared and the ED is
almost empty every morning.
Clearly there is lots to do but the change has been
dramatic which is why I posted it. Hopefully delaying
ambulance handovers will be consigned to history
shortly too.
John, we have to delay handover rather than overfill
because we are in a temporary department with no
corridor - when we are full, we are full. There are
sound reasons for not overfilling anyway of course
thouigh it does cause problems in the community.

Steve