We're using a Nikon D1 X which works very well for all 2d and 3d items
except large highly detailed ones. (The 3000 x 2000 pixel resolution cannot
resolve the significant image detail of say, an A3 engraving, but is fine
for a larger poster with large print). The battery will last for about 4
hours of continuous use and recharges very quickly.

We also have the Nikon coolpix 995 which gives excelent results with small
objects and documents which cannot be scanned.

We have found though that a firm camera support (tripod and or copystand)
and good lighting is as important as choosing the right camera.

The 1GB IBM microdrive allows us to capture about 50 uncompressed TIFF
images on the camera before needing to download them.

I hope this helps

Leith

Leith Haarhoff
Digitisation Manager / Rheolwr Digideiddio
Gathering the Jewels / Casglu'r Tlyusau
Funded by the New Opportunities Fund. Noddwyd gan Y Gronfa Cyfleoedd Newydd