In article <"/GUID:27A00892BC31D611874C00B0D0AAAAAE"@MHS>,
[log in to unmask] writes
>Why not treat it with alcohol? Much easier, known to be effective, good patient
>compliance, low risk.  Needs no inpatient time.
>Treating lack of one drug by substituting another such as a benzodiazepine seems
>odd.  When the patient is stabilised on alcohol, discuss planned withdrawal if
>they are serious about stopping.

Absolutely agree re the pharmacology - but some service implications
here I think.  The issue is to encourage appropriate access of
appropriate services - I don't feel that A+E dispensing booze will
achieve this.  I am happy to, and have in the past, re-directed folk to
the off-licence/liquor store

Cheers
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician  and Command Physician course is
10-16th November 2002 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad  clothing"
                                                Anon Norwegian