An appeal - I need help.

I am running a course for the local University of the Third Age, class all
over 50, in fact most over 60, 10 mornings over 5 months.

We have just covered the Great War period, the death of John and struggled
with Mary Postgate.  I left them with 'The Gardener' to read which we will
discuss next week.

My problem with the Gardener is that Helen, having heard Mrs Scarsworth's
confession, reacts with what I believe to be sympathy because she understands
just what Mrs Scarsworth has suffered, only to be rejected by Mrs S with the
words "My God, Is that how you take it!".

What did Mrs Scarsworth mean?  How did she think Helen had taken it?  What is
the point of this rejection?

If have my own idea of sorts, but it does not convince me.  Can anyone
provide an interpretation?

Also, I know I have read a discussion of this point in some book in the past
but cannot find it.  Can anyone point me to it?

All contributions gratefully received.

Yours Sincerely,
Roger Ayers
Honorary Membership Secretary,