From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">RIDDELL, David
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: ice baths

Hamish

Elana Meyer Olympic Silver medallist (the lady without the last minute kick in the Olympics) has apparently being doing it for years perhaps without it she may have got the gold?? Also, I believe many of the athletes and rugby players at the University of Stellenbosch (South Africa)  used to/still do indulge in the practice

On a slightly more serious note, years ago when I did a lot of training (running) we often tried to end our long Sunday runs at one of the beaches in Cape Town whereafter we would stand around in the sometimes freezing water for up to 20 minutes. This is hardly scientific but every single athlete (including myself) always felt that when had had our cold dip we felt better at the hard track training which was normally on Monday evening.

Perhaps the long runs induced very minor D.O.M.S. which was alleviated by the cold????? Try the University of Stellenbosch Sports Injury Clinic - the main Uni site is  like www.sun.ac.za and from there contact their physio dept/clinic they may be able to help. Alternatively try the Sports Science Institute of South Africa- http://www.ssisa.com/

Good luck

Dave Riddell (in the UK so can't help any more than that)