Al Magary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>David Knowles et al., in _The Heads of Religious Houses: England and Wales,
940-1216_ (Cambridge, 1972), observe, "Cistercian houses were all dedicated to
the Blessed Virgin, so only those [in the directory] which had an additional
dedication are noted..." (p. 16).  However, in the introductory note to the
directory section on the Cistercian houses, the authors slightly contradict
themselves:  "All dedications were to St Mary except where stated."  (p. 126)

i would think that we are on pretty safe ground to assume that absolutely
*all* Cistercian churches were dedicated to the BVM, except for those which
were not.

>Scanning the directory, I find these additional names:
--Beaulieu Abbey, Hants, appears to have been dedicated only to St. Mary
Magdalene.
--Buildwas, Salop, to St. Mary and also to St. Chad.
--Combermere, Ches, also to St. Michael.
--Revesby, Lincs, also to St. Laurence.
--Stratford Langthorne, Essex, also to All Saints.

though mosts Cistercian houses were new foundations (certainly in France, at
least), quite a few, here and there, were previously going concerns which were
"given," for one reason or another, to the Order.

would these latter not have maintained their old patrons (after all, they
would hardly have swept the old relics into the dustbin), perhaps adding the
BVM where necessary, as a signum of the New Management in place?

perhaps this explains the exceptions which you list above.

idle thoughts.

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]