Whitehead John <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>May I revive this discussion with two examples from eleventh-twelfth century
Yorkshire?

happy to have them, John.  if we get enough anecdotal, unsystematic evidence
together, who knows how scientific we could get?

>At Pontefract there was outside, but adjacent to, the castle a hospital
dedicated to St Nicholas. - the hospital itself was founded around an older
chapel dedicated to St Helen.
>...in Scarborough...there is a St Nicholas Street, which I think
was linked to a hospital

the association of Nicholas with hospitals rings some kind of bell, but i can
barely hear it --not Chartrain, as far as i know (though i only know two early
hospitals --not counting Lepresaria, of course-- the one in Chartres itself,
which is always simply referred to as the "Hotel-Dieu," and was under the
direct control of the cathedral chaper) and that of Chateaudun, which was a
collegial under the patronage of Mary Magdelene).

>The castle at Tickhill had a chapel inside its walls which was... also
decicated to St Nicholas. There are some remains of it incorporated in the
house that stands within the castle ruins;

----------------
<excursis

one of the problems i always have had with sorting out the location of chapels
mentioned in early charters is that they are usually styled "in castrum X" or
somesuchlike, without specifying *where* within the
"castrum" they might have been.

at the king's _catrum_ on a hill overlooking his faithful town of Etampes,
there was a largish chapel built between the inner and outer walls of the
complex:

http://www.chateau-royal.com/images/histoire05.jpg from this interesting
site:
http://www.chateau-royal.com/

(it was dedicated to St. Lawrence --but then Louis VI might not have felt much
need to follow a Norman example in assigning patron saints to his castle
chapels.   the Chartrain, otOh, was *full* of all sorts of Norman influence in
this period, i believe.)

the location of this chapel reminds me of that which apparently existed at
Auneau, not far from Chartres, which had a chapel --dedicated to St. Nicholas,
of course-- documented from the very beginning of the 12th c. and said then to
be _in castrum_.

tediously going through the later documents, i found that this chapel of St.
N. was torn down during a siege in the wars of religion, because, the later
document tells us, it was built right against the wall of the chateau and
could have been used by the besiegers to breach the wall.

not far away --but in the town itself, not close to the surviving
chateau-- there is a church (modern but said to be on the site of an old one)
which *some* writers have believed to have been that of St. Nicholas, but the
16th c. document would *seem* to prevent this interpretation.

the question is of interest to me because another castle town
--Gallardon, just down the Voise from Auneau and belonging to the same
family-- also has a chapel _in castrum_ appearing in a c.1100 charter.

Gallardon has a ruin of its donjon on a hill --or spar-- overlooking the town;
and a large, 12-13th c. church down in the town:

http://www.ariadne.org/centrechartraine/gallardon/gallardair.jpg

but modern writers have identified the existing church with that mentioned in
the early charter, and i'm not sure that that was the case, at all.

</excursis
---------------------------------

>There are therefore at least two Yorkshire examples which appear to
corroborate the Chartrain examples.

well on our way.

just a few thousand more, and we'll have it.

>At Nottingham there is a church dedicated to St Nicholas close by
the castle - so close that it was damaged in the Civil war fighting around the
castle and rebuilt in the later seventeenth century.

viday soupra, re Auneau.

quite a lot to be found, in those later documents.

unfortunately.

thanks, John.

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]