-----Original Message-----
From: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Marian McHugh
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 12:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Abelard, Dante

To suggest that Abelard and Heloise, and, more than a century later, Paolo
and Francesca "all got into trouble as they were reading by a fire" is to
render somewhat simplistic the "events" as recorded... in the case of the
latter, Canto V of Dante's Inferno where yes, the parties involved *are*
reading, but there is no reference made to a fire...
Mark Musa provides a succinct summary of the Paolo/Francesca episode
(Penguin, 1984): "Francesca, daughter of Guido Vecchio da Polenta, lord of
Ravenna, and Paolo Malatesta, third son of Malatesta da Verrucchio, lord of
Rimini.  Around 1275 the aristocratic Francesca was married for political
reasons to Gianciotto, the physically deformed second son of Malatesta da
Verrucchio.  In time a love affair developed between Francesca and
Gianciotto's younger brother, Paolo.  One day the betrayed husband
discovered them in an amorous embrace and slew them both."
Sinclair, Sayers and Musa are the most often cited English translations
recommended by scholars, and I see you have already been furnished these
details.
Regards,

Marian