Paolo & Francesca were real people whose deaths were very much a topic for
gossip.

Alan Mandelbaum's translation (Bantam Classics) has the Italian on facing
pages.  For my classroom use, it's the most convenient.  It's better poetry
than many translations.  I refer to Sayers's notes frequently.

Regards,
Jim Kerbaugh

culture              <[log in to unmask]> =====
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Dear List,
>
>Apologies for sending a query only tangentially
>religious in nature, but you are the most learned
>medieval scholars I am in contact with and I cannot
>resist asking these rather literary questions of you:
>1) Is it not the case that Abelard and Heloise, and
>Paolo and Francesca all got into trouble as they were
>reading by a fire; if so, has anyone suggested that
>Dante was in some way inspired by their story; or were
>Paolo and Francesca "real" people whose story was
>common knowledge/gossip in Dante's world?
>2) Can anyone suggest a good edition of the _Commedia_
>with Italian and English on facing pages? Failing
>that, what is the best English translation of the
>work?
>Many thanks,
>MG

>Yahoo! Greetings - Send FREE e-cards for every occasion!
>http://greetings.yahoo.com

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]