Phyllis Jestice, on Groundhog Day, wrote:

>I discovered a few years ago that this is a German folk belief (not
>associated with groundhogs), one of those handy reminders that an awful lot
>of early immigrants in America were German:
>"Ist's an Lichtmess hell und rein,
>wird ein langer Winter sein"

The official site for the "feast day" (and a holiday having an official
site seems an odd notion in itself, although perhaps appropriate given the
oddity of the matter celebrated) is at:

http://www.groundhog.org/

A lamentably unfootnoted page on the history is a couple of links away at
the same site:

http://www.groundhog.org/history/tradition.shtml

Those who lend credence to Punxsutawney Phil will probably be sorry to hear
that he predicts another 6 weeks of winter.

Meg added:

>a groundhog is a
>rodent, a bit smaller than a beaver.

Correct, and more specifically _Marmota monax_, a member of family
_Sciuridae_, and a fairly close relative of the ground squirrels and
chipmunks. The "monax" refers to its characteristic squeal of warning to
other members of its community when danger approaches; this is a common
marmot trait.

John

*******
John McChesney-Young  ** [log in to unmask] **  Berkeley, California, USA

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]