Rebecca, Jason Sarah and all,

Just to add some points from the NMR Data Services Unit view of the world:-

What is being discussed here is one of the two available strategies for
providing the solution to the generic question " I don't just want the
information in my SMR, I want to find out what the MoD, National Trust, NMR
etc etc knows about this place as well". The other solution is a portal
accessing multiple online data sets (see HEIRPORT at the ADS web site for
one example of this).

But to get back to data transfer (ie the actual copying of records from one
system to another), Sarah notes:

>Importing this data into your HBSMR would be more complicated, as the flat
file structure needs to be split back into the many relational tables.  This
is a very
>complicated operation which would certainly require further work on our
part and could only be done on a case-by-case basis unless a standard format
for export and
>import could be decided upon.

I agree, having had some experience of specifying migration of data into the
NMRs corporate database. Sarah rightly points out that this will be a major
problem "unless a standard format for export and inoirt could be decided
upon". I see this last point as central to the work of FISH.

What is needed is a centrally maintained interchange format. Separate
systems would then only have to maintain two migration routines:-

1) a mapping from their system to the interchange format

2)  a mapping from the interchange format to their system

This would be no mean feat, but it would be easier than trying to maintain
migration routines between every system:

1) MySMR to Your SMR (multiplied by however many you want to exchange data
with)

2) YourSMR to MySMR (ditto)

3) My SMR to the NMR

4) NMR to MySMR

etc, etc...

Needless to say this isn't new. Back in the late 1980s there was an agreed
Standard Data Format for information exchange between the NAR (as was) and
the ACAO (remember them?). This was a simple flat file approach - many of
you I'm sure remember early 1990s tagged data projects run by the NAR.
Enough reminiscing though. The flat file approach had the drawback that it
was an oversimplified view of the complex relationships within SMR data.

The current flavour of the month technology, XML, has been touted as the
solution to interchange issues such as this
(see  <http://www.xml.org/xml/news_market.shtml>
http://www.xml.org/xml/news_market.shtml among many thousands of others).
The museums world is looking at a solution based on the SPECTRUM data
standard (the museum equivalent to MIDAS) using XML to encode data exports
in such a way that they retain enough information to reconstruct the
relationships between data in an unambiguous and therefore machine
processable way. This is moving towards the semi automated data exchange
that I guess is the overall objective of this work, but progress is slow.
Its worth noting in passing that this project anticipated additional uses
for a central interchange format, beyond system to system data exchange,
specifically it could provide:

i) a suitable platform for moving data from an old system to your chosen new
SMR system, and by extension a specification to assist in the selection of
new software.

ii) a format for long term archiving of project data that, for whatever
reason, is no longer required on the 'live' information system.

iii) a format for the collection of data by remote users (e.g. field staff
inputting into a stand alone system before 'uploading' to the main system).

As I said. I'm very keen for FISH to get to grips with an interchange
format, and it makes sense to see MIDAS as the starting point for that. I'd
welcome comments here or on the fish list ( [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ). Another initiative that folk may like to
look at in this context in the Conceptual Reference Model, which is being
developed by an international collaboration of museums, archives, libraries.
See the CHIOS project site for further information -
<http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/chios.html> http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/chios.html

Edmund Lee
English Heritage Data Services Unit