> Thinking of community based interventions always raises the question
> of statistical power for the findings (or no findings) of the study.
> These sorts of interventions are naturally situated within community
> 'clusters' (hospital, neighbourhood, town etc). The best available
> evidence on the analysis of clustered RCTs - that I am aware of -
> recommends that randomisation and analysis both should be conducted at
> the cluster level.

This isn't particularly statistically efficient though, and there are
techniques (multilevel modelling or one of its synonyms) for using
both group and individual level data. This may (or may not) help
with the power problems of there not being enough 'clusters' in the
country/world to randomise, although I guess some/many might
criticise it as allowing too much (subjective?) researcher
intervention/involvement to construct the models. A relatively non
technical introduction is Campbell MK et al. Analysis of cluster
randomised trials in primary care: a practical approach. Family
Practice 2000, 17(2), 192-196.

I have no expertise in, or direct experience of cluster randomised
RCTs (although I have used multilevel modelling with observational
data) so I don't know how generally accepted these ideas are by
people who do this kind of RCTs.  Arguably, this kind of technique
is one way to put back in the social context that RCTs usually strip
out or don't report.

Bruce

Bruce Guthrie,
Department of General Practice,