> Can anyone tell me why an attack on a stats office deserves
> special attention
> from sociologists as a group?  Is it to be implied that the
> other deaths that
> have occured on both sides are not worthy of our consideration?

The crucial point is that statistics offices are a
vital component of stable societies.   Statistics support stable and
peaceful societies, and only stable and peaceful societies can produce
reliable statistics.   An attack on a statistical office is an undermining
of the institutional structure that are part of stable societies.

It is ironic that Ariel Sharon has claimed that Israel is taking action
against
terrorism.   The attack on a statistical office is likely to contribute to
the creation of anarchy that will breed terrorism.

Ray Thomas, Social Sciences, Open University
Tel: 44 1908 679081 Fax 44 1908 550401
Email: [log in to unmask]
35 Passmore, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY