Dear all,

I think we as the students of social scientists should
discuss the current political problems more often however
they seems far from were we are. They are e.g the 'war on
terrorism'or the Palestinian Israeli conflict not only
involves countess human misery but also potentially
would lead much wider conflict and regional/ global
wars which means more misery may be the distraction of
the whole planet.

Coming back to the Benoit de l'Estoile's point about the
location of Bureau wthere it was "located in an area
that was of strategic importance" so that the Israeli army
would have a legitimate cause to destroy it. Lets leave this
kind of explanations for the army spokesmen. I think, It is
not the business of social scientists to talk for them.
But it seems the army may have more than one reasons to
destroy such Bureau regardless of its strategic location.
It is strategically important but not in terms of
geographic location but may be in terms of socio/political
importance of it.

Regards
Kayhan Delibas

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:36:52 +0100 Benoit de l'Estoile
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I fear my proposal is being misunderstood by Claudine Attias-Donfut.
>
> Dear Colleagues,
> The proposal that  Benoit de l'Estoile is making does not seem appropriate
> for at least two reasons:
> 1-The information about the destruction of the Bureau of Statistics is not
> clear to this date and whether or not that Bureau is located in  an area
> that was of strategic importance, which might explain why it has been
> touched during Israel's fight against terrorism .
>
> `That is why I was asking for more information, in order not to act
> upon rumor, but with a precise knowledge of the facts and
> circumstances.
>
> 2- The protest that is suggested is not only based on unclear information,
> but would only add fuel to the fire of the many one-sided arguments that
> are made almost daily, whether from one side or the other, in this terrible
> and tragic conflict. And in so doing, we are adding obstacles to the very
> necessary peace process.   It would be infinitely preferable to play a
> peacemaking role by understanding the sufferings of both Israelis and
> Palestinians and by supporting those who within both sides, advocate
> dialogue and a political resolution that this conflict desparately calls
> for.
>
> Again, I do not think it is for us to intervene qua scientists (as
> opposed to citizens) in this tragic (for both sides) conflict, but I
> do think we can voice a collective opinion on a specific incident
> such as the destruction of a Bureau of Statistics, be it in
> Palestine, Nigeria, Equador or Switzerland.
>
> Best
> Benoit
> Benoit de L'Estoile
> Departement de sciences sociales