Civil liberties moves us away from economics and on to politics - Isaiah
Berlin I think is the man here - Freedom to do things must always be
balanced with freedom from things.  My freedom to be rude conflicts with
someone else's freedom from me being rude to them.

Here in Oxford I would like a little more freedom to ride my bike and a lot
more freedom from Mercedes wielding idiots who think that people on bikes
must be poor and are thus expendable. I would happily trade my right to
freedom from government monitoring me in my car for the freedom to trace the
mad ***** who nearly ran me down on Magdelen bridge yesterday.

The great beauty of congestion charging is that poor people in the country
are not subsidising rich car owners in the cities - whereas fuel tax is
manifestly unfair to anyone in un-congested areas.

Here in Oxford the law of unintended consequences strikes again - after
years of centralising the hospital services (Economies of scale blah blah)
there is now a shortage of nurses. There seem to be plenty of them but they
all live close to where the old community hospitals were - and on nurses
salaries cannot afford houses in Oxford. And so as with any form of market
interference we can expect some oddity eventually to crop up.