I think Brendan absolutely right to be so disgusted with members of the list for having these 'philosophical linguistic' debates. After all, language has no bearing on the construction of cultures of oppression, prejudice, discrimination etc. It plays no role in reinforcing pathological notions of difference, or indeed reinforcing both subjective and external notions of belonging, equality and justice.

Whilst I am writing, let me concur with his criticism about these academics who engage in these debates and "have little to do with the practicalities of disability". I am certain, as no doubt he is, that they simply sit formulating 'philosophical linguistic' e-mails all day and don't do anything else at all in the interests of disabled people, as Brendan obviously does. I am certain based on the evidence of an e-mail or three from particular people that I - like Brendan - can stereotype, insult and offend on the basis of this scant evidence.

And really, we should all apologise for the real core of Brendan's hurt - we haven't done his research for him! And he the only one whose research is worthwhile, compared to these 'philosophical lingustic' academic types. Oh, the pain! Particularly as, as well as his research being the only important research, he so clearly knows what the public think, and how they would find debate on language not edifying but trivial - unlike his obviously important research.

"You academics - your work has no relevance in the real world, unlike my presumably street-credible work which you should rush to pay homage to". The last refuge of the ignorant, the selfish and the self-centred.............I don't always agree with mails on this list, or think all the threads as critical as each other, but I have never thought those who post anything but sincere in working to reinforce their practice through being clear in theory. Thank good  St Brendan has come to preach that ignorance is bliss.............or not.

Paul

Paul Reynolds
Senior Lecturer in Politics and Sociology
Centre for Studies in nthe Social Sciences
Edge Hill College
St Helens Road
Ormskirk
Lancs L394QP
Tel: 01695 584370
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> Brendan Magill <[log in to unmask]> 02/07 8:36 pm >>>
Hi Everyone,

    I joined this mailing list at the recommendation of one of the
participants in this particular thread.  When I did so, I was hoping to
find a group of people who were doing real work to promote, support,
develop or whatever... research into fields that would improve the lot
of people with disabilities, or whatever you like to call us.  Little
did I expect to be joining a philosophical, linguistic group of people
who seem to have little to do with the practicalities of disability and
far too much irrelevant waffle.  None of this stuff is about disability,
the needs of people with disabilities or what might be done to address
those needs.

    It is significant, I think, that the UK university, one of whose
staff members recommended me to the list, has not responded to my
request for advice and guidance in putting together my own research
project, despite some two months having elapsed since I made that
request.

    This is not simply a case of me letting off steam.  I have
encountered similar levels of inactivity following approaches to other
UK universities with similar requests.  I have the basis of a research
study that sets out to do something positive for people who are visually
impaired - to improve employment opportunities for them.  The UK
universities that I have approached have thus far totally failed to
engage with my topic.  Compare this with Montana State University, from
where I was sent a whole package of useful and interesting material in
response to my request on this list for reference material.

    So, for heaven's sake, all of you, get off this silly debating about
social and individual models, about static and dynamic meaning, about
the organic nature of language etc. and possibly tell us about some real
work that is of value to people who are disabled and maybe even to
Society at large.

    My apologies if this offends anyone, but it is my view that the
conduct of list members who have written on this Language topic can only
adversely affect the general public view of people with disabilities.

            Brendan.

--
BRENDAN MAGILL
Business and Information Technology