The debate on language has obviously sparked interest across the list
and I think the number of varying responses and views signifies the
importance of language and its use.

Words and Language form a significant part in the way we communicate…
we attach meaning to words and they help people identify with
situations and circumstances.  However, lets not forget that
communication goes far beyond the use of words.  Words have meaning
attached that can vary depending on an individuals experience, cultural
background, social settings, personal expectations, education etc.
The meaning of words will also vary considerably depending on the
context in which they are used.

For example, the words used among a group of colleagues in a business
setting will be different than those used in a political forum and
again different among individuals or groups in social settings.
Equally our (each individual’s) acceptance of different terms and words
will be different in different settings, the value and form of the
relationship with those using the words, and our own level of
acceptance, experience etc.

I responded previously with the quote “actions speak louder than
words”….   What I meant by that was, that often the words used by
people and groups are not how they “actually” view the people or
situations they are referring.  Individuals’ who use “politically
correct terms” are not necessarily more tolerant, accepting or
understanding of a persons’ disability, than a person who uses “un-
politically correct” terms.  Words are descriptors based on an
individual’s level of experience, knowledge and relationship to a
situation or subject, and how we as individuals respond to these
situations will further define the meaning and value of these words for
the individuals using them.

This type of debate is one with no end…..by the time I’ve written this
more time will have passed, most of you will have had new experiences
of the world, some of you will have changed your opinion of what is
correct or incorrect, another individuals tolerance will have altered
and a new “buzz” word will have emerged.

So, lets take the words on face value, learn to tolerate, accept and
learn more about the things we don’t understand and concentrate on
respecting and valuing all people for who they are, not for the words
they do or do not use.

I disagree Brendan that a debate on language is not relevant ... it is
clearly very important to the development of understanding the world we
live in....

Political Correctness is evolving as we speak – so…  lets go with the
flow and turn the “buzz words” into “action”.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views the University of Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.
CRICOS Number:  00099F

are now located at: