Subject: Re: [OZADV] [DAWN Ontario] Seeking Assistance re:
Women'sconferencewebsite constructed with images only
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:45:37 +1000
From: Sue Egan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Barbara and other readers

Regarding your comments Barbara on the International Womens Conference
in Townsville Australia in July this year and the website you referred
to: http://www.tiwc.asn.au/tiwc/page3/index.html

I visited the website you mentioned and agree that it is maddening and
disappointing to see this on our computer screens.

It is also disappointing to read that there is no mention of disability
in the speakers topics or credentials and no activists on the agenda who
refer to disability in their brief background!

The conference is situated in James Cook University and they are also
cited as being a major sponsor of the Conference.  What does this say
about the Womens Studies Unit (also cited on the website).

I studied through James Cook University and was deeply distressed to see
that there was little or no reference to women with disabilities in the
curriculum - so nothing has changed despite my refusal to complete the
subject because I refused to "participate in a subject that does not
even acknowledge my existence."  I passed by the way.

I will be writing them a letter of protest.

Sue Egan

Sue Egan
Physical Disability Council of Australia