on 2/7/02 5:22 PM, Gregor Wolbring at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> but question is whether this person first thing works.
> It's like saying I am a person with the gender male/female.

Yes, perhaps it's splitting hairs to insist on the person first, but one of
the reasons you wouldn't say "Iam...gender male/female" is because our
language gives us the words "woman and man" to cover that particular
instance. I don't know that we have an equivalent term for disability. The
one that comes to mind is "crip" which I apply to myself when I am feeling
confrontational or irreverent or in the company of other friends who happen
to be disabled and know my sense of dark humor. On the other had I do think
it is important to be aware of the nuances of language when describing the
experience of disability. It makes me think of a sign on a local turnpike I
travel occasionally. It reads "Disabled drivers stay with vehicle". It is
the lack of clarity in use of language that makes me wonder why I must stay
with my car, while anyone who isn't disabled can leave...

Mare

--
MaryAnn "Mare" O'Toole
Director of Academic Computing

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.  It comes bundled with the software.

are now located at: