Erik, just a few comments in response to your astute observations:

[1][2] As for comments one and two regarding the status of "audience", in
May of last year, the Usage Board approved a proposal for a 16th (domain
specific) element named "audience" and issued a DCMI recommendation.  At the
same time, it issued a DCMI recommendation for a (domain specific) qualifier
for the "audience" element named "mediator" as well as a (domain specific)
"conformsTo" qualifier for the "relation" element.  The documentation for
those decisions can be found at
http://www.dublincore.org/usage/decisions/2001/education-01.shtml#audiencequ
alifier.

In this proposal for an :audience" element qualifier, the suggested
namespace is http://purl.org/dc/terms.  As a result of a DCMI recommendation
regarding its namespaces, there are only two namespaces at this time for
DCMI "terms" (elements and element qualifiers).  The first is
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ which contains _only_ the original
unqualified 15 core elements.  The second is http://purl.org/dc/terms/ which
now contains, and will continue to contain until a different decision is
made, absolutely all other elements and element qualifiers (terms) issued as
DCMI recommendations.  As a result, I believe the http://purl.org/dc/terms
namespace is the correct one for the proposed term since there are no others
available. The document outlining DCMI namespaces can be found at
http://www.dublincore.org/documents/2001/10/26/dcmi-namespace/.
(Unfortunately, the http://purl.org/dc/terms/ namespace resolves to an RDF
document that is not completely accurate.)

As to your question regarding the use of the words "element" and "term", it
is my understanding that "term" is used to encompass both elements and
element qualifiers in DCMI namespaces.  Someone please correct me if I am
wrong.

[3] Erik, as for part three of your comments regarding who the audience in
the US example actually is, your point is well made.  However, an
educational resource may have more than one audience as that element is
defined and refined in DCMI through its "mediator" qualifier.  For example,
a resource may be intended for use with 5th graders as in the example and
yet not be designed to be put directly into their hands while other
resources may well be so designed.  Let's refine the example in the
proposal.  Assume that a special education teacher in the US is looking for
resources for use with 5th grade students with attention deficit disorder
(ATD).  That can currently be expressed in DC as follows:

Audience=Students with ATD
Audience.mediator=Special education teacher

Conceptually, the proposed "audienceLevel" is intended to address the status
of the ultimate beneficiary.  Of course, it is less problematic when the
resource is intended for use directly by some class of student as are many
learning objects.

[4] Erik, as for part four of your comments, you are correct--the sentence
is incomplete.  It should read: ""While the promise [remains] of an
application profile that makes possible the integration of elements from the
LOM namespace with those of the DCMI through the use of a publicly
accessible, DCMI registered application profile, movement toward such an
interoperable solution has been painfully slow."

Hope this helps clarify.

Stuart