Always a tricky ethical balance this. On principle I side with Robbie's view, but pragmatically I find myself seeing entitled patients fairly regularly. I manage to rationalise it on various levels: firstly the privacy thing; it's not a big deal to queue for hours in someone else's unit, but pretty miserable to do it in your own unit, and queue jumping effectively resolves this issue. Secondly I agree with the "return them to the front line" philosophy, but that depends on what their precise job is. Finally I often do this for good old Machiavellian reasons; I figure if I do a favour for a medic or manager, then maybe they'll remember it when I need a favour in return. Works some of the time anyway!

Adrian Fogarty