Well I agree with Robbie. If we proudly talk about our
systems for seeing people according to clinical need,
then subvert the system because we want to be nice to
a colleague, is that not hypocrisy?
If you as a consultant can condone that for another
consultant's child, then can your SHO do the same for
an orthopaedic SHO's child - or an orthopaedic nurse's
child?
In practice, though, ( and you could accuse me of
moral relativism) such people can get seen without
waiting a long time or disadvantaging the others: have
them seen by a consultant not on clinical duty (or
who's prepared to come in on call), as Rowley and
others said.. Clearly Rowley had an urgent clinical
need and was on duty, and should have been seen
straight away (though attending the ED might hve been
a better option than calling the med reg).
Within UK clinical priority systems, there is some
flexibility anyway to take other factors into
consideration in deciding the order in which to see
people - who hasnt seen someone out of turn because
they've got a train to catch, or their coach party is
waiting for them outside? The point is that it must be
applicable to all and should not delay emergency
treatment to those in real need.
A related problem is the local rugby heroes......what
do you do about them then? We see them 'top of triage
group' on the basis that their presence is disruptive,
like the aggressive patient.
Steve Meek