I think that what needs to be applied to this debate is a change in its main
focus.

It seems to me that the discussion is focused on secondary things - that
bring intense emotional responses - while the main focus should be: can they
live together, and if yes, how?

The comparison to Nazism is pointless, except in the matters of fragility of
democracy. Then maybe we could extend the debate to what is happening in the
US in terms of individual freedom (following 11/9 events), or Nafta's
chapter 11 that allows private companies to sue the states, and win.

Sorry but it's beginning to be a little annoying to receive dozens of angry
messages that, in my opinion, do not lead anywhere but to anger.

>We need to apply some methodological rigour to this debate.
>there are of course comparisons that can be drawn; there
>always are. However,
>a) some comparisons are more useful than others
>b) some comparisons are more precise than others.
>c) is it all we can to draw comparisons?

Sarah Daynes
Columbia University