New methods of recording and transcribing interviews:

Returning to the discussions of a few weeks ago, I wanted to share a way that my partner and i have come up  with using the following:

1. Archos 20GB MP3 Recorder

2. Gaming driving wheel with set of pedals (because i dont think you can get a set of game pedals that plugs straight into computer!)

3. Express Scribe 2.04 transcription software available FREE at http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/.

From what i've seen, no software can automatically and accurately transcribe my interviews.  It doesnt matter if i record it on tape, minidisc or anything else, programmes like "Via Voice" and "Dragon Speak" need to be trained beforehand etc ... so I am upgrading my trusty dictaphone, not to a mini disc, but to the Archos 20GB MP3 Recorder. This is being released today, it has its own microphone and also "line in?" for external microphone.  It records 500 hours.

There are other MP3s that voice record, e.g the ARchos 6GB recorder version, but don't buy a similar product from Creative, as it doesnt record out from the machine, it only uploads songs on it.

Reason for not using mini disc?   even though this latest Archos Recorder is £300 - it will be cheaper in long not having to buy m-discs or tapes.  Also may transfer the interviews onto computer more quickly than m-disc?

Re:  Express Scribe: it is more approachable for non-techies than, for e.g the free transcribing software listed in the snailmail CAQDAS newsletter this month.

Why the gaming driving wheel and pedal?
They are much cheaper - e.g £40?  than the horrendously priced ones that are sold along with software e.g at http://www.startstopc.com/Transcription/htm). (If you are buying a pedal, then it would be better to get flat and soft ones like piano pedals as opposed to car pedals like mine!).
Then set the pedals to work with Express Scribe. This is a superb little program.  If you've got 2 pedals, the left one is rewind and the right one is stop/play. And that's it!  Transcribe into word or whatever ...

I will report back on the success or otherwise of the set up in a couple of weeks ...

Gerry Mitchell
CASE, LSE
Email: [log in to unmask]