  From: John Spencer
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 1:28 PM
  Subject: Re: Transversus Paradox: PP125

  M.Siff:

  >TRANSVERSUS ABDOMINIS ACTION
  >
  >Here is a quick puzzle and paradox  -  is the role of transversus
  abdominis (TVA) as supremely important as some individuals have been
  suggesting?  After all, the body is extremely efficient at recruiting
  different systems and processes if one of the important systems involved
  in a given action is injured, ill-adapted, fatigued or otherwise
  compromised in its ability to offer its optimal contribution.  Not only
  does this happen in the muscular system, but MRIs show that this
  plasticity of function even happens in the brain.

  >Those who work clinically often will notice how many patients with
  physical differences or dysfunctions "compensate" by using different
  muscles or patterns to carry out a given task without any apparent ill-
  effects. One example close to home -- my paraplegic wife who is
  paralysed from thoracic level T3 is able to carry out tasks that nobody
  should be able to do with that level of injury, but she often does and
  does so without injury.

  >So much has been written recently about how essential transversus
  abdominis is to trunk stabilisation and mobility, but has anyone ever
  undertaken studies to show that people who may not be able to activate
  it very effectively may compensate very effectively by using other
  patterns of muscle activation and use?  Is there really any convincing
  proof that "less than optimal" TVA activation definitely results in
  significantly less efficient and more dangerous trunk action in all
  daily activities?

  John writes:

  Certainly clinically we see that people with apparently poor TVA
  activation compensate using other less appropriate muscles to try and
  stabilise the lumbar spine. It is often these muscles (eg hams, hip
  flexors) that become initially symptomatic as they eventually fail to
  compensate for a role they are not well adapted to  carry out.

  In fact the 'model' that the TVA research is based on is that of a
  tripartite system (originally created by Panjabi) whereby stability of
  the lumbar spine relies upon 'passive' structures (eg discs and bony
  structures), 'active' structures and overall central nervous system
  control.

  So, for instance, if one structure fails (eg a disc becomes unstable) it
  may be that the body compensates by developing bony osteophytes to try
  and re-assert some 'passive' control. Of course all this compensation is
  subconscious.

  So yes, as you say, the body does compensate. However, clearly the
  ability to  compensate is limited and at the point that the body fails
  to compensate adequately we see symptoms. There are clearly many people
  out in the real  world who have 'bulging' discs or considerable  OA on
  x-ray who have no symptoms and others who, with the same pathologies are
  riddled with symptoms. So compensation certainly occurs but when it
  fails  it may be that 'conscious' intervention to activate the TVA helps
  to bring the body back to a less symptomatic state.

  M.Siff:

  >Studies of actions other than trunk stability have shown that the same
  >muscles do not necessarily become involved or become involved to the
  same extent or in the same pattern in different people or in the same
  person at different times (e.g., there was an article in the Scientific
  American within the last 2 years which used fMRI - functional MRI to
  demonstrate this).  If this happens with other movements, why should
  actions involving TVA be any different?

  John writes:

  Interestingly, Dr Paul Hodges recently commented on research using a PET
  scanner and studying TVA activation showed that the normal areas of the
  motor cortex that were active with skeletal muscle activity were not
  associated with TVA activity which was an early indication that the TVA
  may be under distinct motor control from other muscle  groups.

  The research also indicates that whilst muscles such as hamstrings,
  glutes and rectus abdominus were activated in terms of both TIMING and
  DEGREE of contraction DEPENDENT UPON DIRECTION OF MOVEMENT, TVA's timing
  and degree of contraction was the same INDEPENDENT OF DIRECTION OF
  MOVEMENT. SO, yes, there is evidence that might suggest actions
  involving the TVA could  be different to other muscles.

  That individuals display muscle recruitment patterns unique to each
  individual is undoubted... it does not contradict TVA theory.

  Mel writes:
  Is there any genuine proof, other than the current conjecture,
  that TVA contributions to trunk action is not as predictable and
  deterministic as is being claimed by some therapists?   Does it really
  matter all that much if it sometimes does not contribute as it "should"
  during human movement and its decrease in function is compensated for by
  other muscle actions?  Are there any references which help to resolve
  this paradox?

  John writes:

  I think clearly that 'some therapists' out there are making
  insupportable claims in respect of TVA but that doesn't negate the
  convincing research that indicates this is a very exciting and promising
  area of study. No-one conversant with the evidence would  deny your
  assertion that the body will compensate for dysfunctional systems but
  equally it is clear that the body fails to compensate adequately in all
  cases hence the need for therapeutic intervention, (including TVA
  activation)

  --
  John Spencer