Henry:

I do not subscribe to this Journal.... However, I assume it is similar to
other opinions expressed along the same lines. This position has a great
deal of merit, particularly when there has been little evidence published on
a particular treatment.

Ultrasound has been used therapeutically for ~60 years. During that time
there has been a good amount of research published. The references I posted
speak for themselves. Not only is there a lack of evidence to support the
use of US for treatment but the evidence shows that US does not have the
biophysical effects PTs ascribe to it.

This begs the question; How much evidence does one need to change their
practice? IMHO until there is evidence to the contrary the verdict is in on
US and I no longer use it in my practice.

Douglas M. White, PT, OCS
191 Blue Hills Parkway
Milton, MA 02186
Ph: 617.696.1974
http://DouglasWhite.tripod.com

I can understand people's emphasis on evidence based medicine. However, the
most recent Manual Therapy journal (November 2001) has an excellent
editorial on the issue of EBM and clinical reasoning. The authors stated the
importance of not losing our clinical reasoning despite a lack of evidence
in what we do. As I always say, if we only practice EBM, then we would be
left with very little to use! If you get a chance, read the short editorial,
it is good!

Henry***