As a personal trainer and Sports Therapist in the Uk, i can back up Tony's
point. Because of our problems with the NHS and the waiting rooms getting
larger and larger, it is almost unfair to waste the GP's time to simply get
the go ahead to begin an exercise program. As a personal trainer, if i  have
any doubt about the risks of training an individual i refer them to the GP.
(i should refer everyone). Nine times out of ten, due to their shear
workload, he will spend <5 mins with the patient and do exactly what i would
have already done .
- Blood pressure
- Resting Heart Rate
-Medical History
- Peak flow
- Possibly lifestyle (eg are you stressed? - always a fav. with Gp's that
one - if in doubt just say paitent is stressed!!!!!!

So what is the point in refering the patient to the GP  in the fist place?
Quite frankly, due greater availabilty of time, i would have a much better
idea about the risks exercise may pose by checking every aspect of health
and lifestyle. Naturally, if the client complains of chest pains refering to
the arms etc then a GP is obviously needed to recommend an ECG or such like.
The reason i do it, is to cover my butt! If in doubt "pass the buck" to the
GP, if he clears the patient and he drops down dead during a power walk, i
am covered!
  Very cynical i know, but it is the way it goes. In fact several times GP's
have sent the patient back to me saying that i would have more of an idea
about the possible risks. Maybe maybe not, but now he has passed the buck
back!!!
It is a sad world we live in now that this"blame culture" has evolved, but i
guess we just have to deal with it! I understand the problem is much worse
in the US than here, but we'll catch up i am sure!

Graeme Hilditch