At 04:15 PM 1/22/02 -0500, you wrote:

This seems to me an extremely sharp point. Anyone who claims someone's
motivation is other what is claimed has got quite a large job of explaining
to do. (We are usually happy to do it, encased as we are in a set of values
and techniques intended to do just that, but it's a pretty iffy enterprise,
epistemologically speaking).
jw

it may indeed be difficult.  but anyone who thinks that most of the avowed motivations that people write justifying their behavior are worth taking at their face value, are either terminally naive, or share the agenda of the person whose protestations they accept.  i would say that we all have lots of explaining to do -- those of us who suspect, and those who take the motivation as presented by the person in question.  in any case the "easy" answer in the case is most often dangerously simplistic.

richard